Friday, January 9, 2009

HE DOESN'T WANT TO MARRY ME TOO!

He approached me with a swagger and from the distance i was already shaking my head. My eyes were rolling all the way to the roof top and my feet tapped incessantly on the floor. Like i'm prone to do when nervous, my brain was working out all the details of him. From his wildly bushy hair, to his unshaved brows, to the black pants he wore so carelessly i was afraid they'd fall. He looked like a joke and i stared at my mother, silently imploring her to tell me. 'Aduke, this is just a wild joke' but she smiled weakly and mouthed. 'cute uh?' 'no way!' i mouthed right back. She kept silent, doing that scrunched up face she does when she's unhappy with me. It was a wonder she still had no wrinkles at fifty considering the many frowns i'd put on her face. My 'future husband',Akanke; he had the name of a furniture[i'll make sure i tell him so if i evr do decide to marry him.] approached steadily.Father stood up, grinning sheepishly, a strange maniacal glint in his eyes as he observed my prospect. I understood that look, it meant.'You're going with this one and there's nothing you can say to change my mind!' My husband had arrived and as he stood in front of my father, i had the opprtunity of surveying him more carefully and i groaned audibly. He looked a sight. His shirt must have once been blue and i never thought i'd ever see a hate- deserving brand of blue if what he wore was dirty blue, grey blue or blackish blue.And instinctively, my sensitive nose strained to catch any putrid odours. His good point, [the only one] was that he seemed to have at least washed this morning. 'Akanke,Kanke' my father praised lavishly.Being overtly boisterous never suited him, but for this occasion, he seemed to have chewed an entire bottle of 'nice tablets'. my suitor smiled and held out his hand for a shake.my father stared at it like it was diseased and i silently swallowed my laughter. 'Er,Er. We are turning into the west' my father joked and motioned him to sit. My mother smiled encouragingly at him while i just stared point blank, communicating with without words just how miserable i'd make his life, what a misfortune he'd meet,how he'd better run and never look back and all the adjectives i could express. He ignored my dirty look and i winced. here comes trouble! 'So you're the one who wants to marry my daughter!'my father asked jovially as he took a swig of palmwine, his adipose riddled belly bobbing ominously. 'Yes sir!' answered loverboy. 'i'm very much in love with your daughter sir, i want to marry her' he proposed earnestly. At that stage i couldn't take it anymore, not his insincere professions of love or the sight of that brand of blue. Briddling with anger, annoyance and pure outrage, I exploded 'LISTEN TO ME BOY!' 'I AM NOT GOING TO MARRY YOU,' I declared indignantly brimming with self importance. My father stared at me blankly, so did my suitor and my mother. 'What do you mean Aduke?' he asked quietly.' i rose to my complete five feet two. ''Father i am not going to marry him.' It seemed some minutes before comprehension dawned on him and strangely, he smiled.'oh but Aduke, you're very mistaken' he announced. 'Your mother and i have given up on you long ago when you refused to marry the chief's son. we figured you are a queer. Akanke has no intention of marrying you, he's in love with your youngest sister!' The entire floor seemed to have shifted off from me at that instant and a prolonged ringing began in my auditory meatus. the ringing was so bad i almost missed the icing on the queen-sized cake in the form of my mother saying. ' Don't worry, Aduke! tomorrow we're sending you to the convent!.' Here's me welcoming me to me blogspot.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Didn't see that coming! Did that really happen? Why would they think you are queer? Maybe you just want to find your own ideal mate. Well stop by and vibe with me.
    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete